Percussion auditions may only occur after you are admitted to the University.
- Complete YSU application & financial aid forms.
- Undergraduate candidates should file the FAFSA form through YSU Financial Aids. Students who are planning on living on campus, after filing FAFSA, should apply for the YSU Housing Grant which awards up to $3,000 per year; link Housing Grant application.
- There is also the MLK Inner-City Achievement Awards for incoming Freshmen - a merit award up to $1,000 per academic year.
- For students out-of-state and not from the Affordable Tuition Advantage area, may also qualify for the Provost Scholarship up to $6,000 per year which together with the YSU Merit Scholarship makes their tuition almost in-state.
- All listed scholarship criteria..
- Students who receive Honors Scholarship, in addition to the Merit Scholarship, may also be eligible for Honors Housing.
- Review Dana School of Music Admission Procedures
- Review percussion audition guidelines Undergraduate Studies or Graduate Studies Applicants must demonstrate certain proficiency levels in a percussion audition/interview to qualify for music major admission status to the Dana School of Music.
- Schedule a Percussion Visitation Day with Dr. Schaft, preferably before your audition. Send an email request to email@example.com.
- We recommend your visit occurs well before your audition. The visitation itinerary will include a complimentary private lesson with Dr. Schaft, discussion of your career goals and degree options, questions/answers, college entrance audition preparation, observation of lessons and rehearsals, introduction of our students and faculty, and tour of our instruments/facilities. Parents are welcome. Bring mallets and music you are presently working on. A typical itinerary is Fridays 10am-mid/late afternoon. Campus tours are available through Undergraduate Admissions and a virtual campus tour are available.
- Schedule your audition — please complete the Dana School of Music Audition Form to request an audition appointment. If you require a date other than those published on the Dana School of Music website, contact Dr. Schaft directly. To assist in your audition preparation, Dr. Schaft also offers private lessons GlennSchaft.com or can refer you to other teachers. Graduate candidates should schedule auditions directly with Dr. Schaft via email.
- Undergraduate theory placement test is administered on the audition day and is designed to place you in the appropriate theory course.
- Take the Piano Placement Test if you possess reading experience, to determine if you test out of some or all the four required keyboard musicianship classes for most Bachelor of Music degree programs.
- Audition results - Dana School of Music sends audition result notification letters in late February and early March.
- Scholarship Awards - may include YSU Academic Awards and/or Dana School of Music Scholarships. Dana scholarship notification letters are typically sent in mid to late March - early April under separate cover from YSU academic awards.
- Visit our website tab “curriculum” and read advisement & registration before you attend the YSU (SOAR) registration sessions.